Work towards building a healthier plate that meets your nutritional needs by following the USDA’s recommendations for MyPlate. MyPlate is based on the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and can be used as a reminder to eat healthfully.
MyPlate focuses on the foods that fuel your body properly – fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, and lean proteins using a familiar image, place setting for a meal. Before you eat, think about what goes on your plate or in your cup or bowl.
- Strive for 5 or more cups of fruits and vegetables daily by making half your plate fruits and vegetables
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat dairy products
- Make at least half of your grains whole grains
- Stay properly hydrated throughout the day by drinking water instead of sugary drink
- Enjoy your food, but eat less
- Avoid oversized portions
Foods to Reduce:
- Replace solid fats with oils, where possible
- Compare sodium (salt) in different processed foods (soups, frozen meals, etc.) and choose foods with “no added salt” or less overall sodium
For more information on MyPlate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov
How to get started? Here are a few sample meal ideas that balance lean protein, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and dairy, making the perfect MyPlate:
- Hard-boiled egg with whole grain toast and apple slices
- Avocado Toast: egg (cooked to desired liking) and sliced avocado placed on whole grain toast and topped with plain Greek yogurt or salsa
- Spinach and Mushroom Mini Quiche with Cut Fruit: Fill a muffin tin with diced mushrooms and spinach, fill with egg beaters or whole eggs beaten with a fork. Add a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Try making these ahead of time for the week. In the morning, pop your mini quiche into the microwave for 15 seconds and enjoy!
- Whole wheat waffle topped with fresh berries mashed with a fork, to release natural juices, and Ricotta cheese
- BBQ Chicken Pizza: Martin's rotisserie chicken mixed with your favorite BBQ sauce and layered on top of a whole grain tortilla or Naan bread with diced red onion, bell peppers and low-fat mozzarella cheese. Baked in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Chicken, Watermelon and Feta Salad: Layer spinach or romaine lettuce leaves with precooked diced chicken, cut watermelon, and feta cheese. Also, try adding in toasted slivered almonds into this salad. Toss with a balsamic vinaigrette.
- Avocado Tuna or Chicken Salad on Whole Grain Bread: Mash a fresh avocado with a fork and mix with your canned tuna or chicken, diced red onions, apples, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Layer on top of a whole grain bread.
- Beef and Bean Chili Verde or White Bean Chicken Chili
- Mediterranean Pita: Layer a whole grain pita with hummus spread and grilled vegetables. Try grilled eggplant, zucchini, asparagus mixed with black olives and feta cheese.
- Turkey Caprese Wrap: In a whole grain tortilla, layer sliced deli turkey, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil and fresh tomatoes. Drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette and roll-up into wrap.
- Salmon Burger on a Whole Grain Bun with Grilled Green Beans with Peppers and Onions
- Southwest Chicken Stir Fry
- Steak, Tomato Cucumber Salad and a Whole Grain Roll: For the tomato cucumber salad, toss sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions in a light Italian dressing
- Baked or Grilled Salmon, Roasted Asparagus and Brown Rice: To quickly roast your asparagus, toss washed asparagus with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until desired doneness. Toss with Parmesan cheese for extra flavor once removed from the oven.
- Honey Lime Fish Tacos with Coconut Mango Slaw
- BBQ Chicken, Sweet Potato and Salad Mix
- Spring Pasta Primavera with Turkey
- Turkey Sausage with Peppers and Onions
- Grilled Shrimp, Corn and Tomato Roll
- Fresh Fruit Cup or Presliced Fruit- Get cut fruit right from your Martin's deli
- Whole Fruit: Bananas, apples, oranges, etc.
- Popcorn Trail Mix
- Yogurt Parfait: Make your own at home or pick up one from your Martin's deli
- Greek yogurt
- Hummus and Pretzels
- Celery, Carrot and Hummus Snack Cup, from your Martin's deli
- Granola Bites
*Recommendations are for the general public over 2 years of age. Individuals with a chronic health condition should consult with a health care provider to determine specific dietary recommendations for them.
Looking for recipes to spark creative interest? Here are two cookbook guides from our friends at Dole!
Dole's Budget Cookbook and Dole's Superfood Cookbook