Bring together fruit and vegetables in an earthy muffin for an on-the-go breakfast.
Morning Glory Muffin
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes
Serves: 12 muffins
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups peeled and grated carrots
1 large tart apple, peeled, cored and grated
1/2 cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup sunflower seeds or wheat germ, optional
3 large eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin, or line it with papers and spray the inside of the papers.
2. In a small bowl, cover the raisins with hot water, and set them aside to soak while you assemble the rest of the recipe.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt.
4. Stir in the carrots, apple, coconut, nuts and sunflower seeds or wheat germ.
5. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla and orange juice.
6. Add to the flour mixture, and stir until evenly moistened.
7. Drain the raisins and stir them in.
8. Divide the batter among the wells of the prepared pan.
9. Bake the muffins for 25-28 minutes, until they’re nicely domed and a cake tester inserted in the center of one of the inner muffins comes out clean.
10. Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes in their pan on a rack, then turn out of pans to finish cooling. Wrap any leftovers airtight, and store at room temperature for several days; freeze from longer storage.
*recipe and photo from King Arthur Flour
Pin this recipe here:
Breakfast Recipes, Healthy Snack, Kid-Friendly Recipes, Recipes Blog | August 5th, 2022